Thursday, June 11, 2009

Interrupted

So I just had to interrupt the flow of our trip pictures to show how our little peanut is doing now. It is amazing to see the transformation of this little girl in just two weeks, and hopefully it is an encouragement for other families to consider adopting just one of the millions of orphans worldwide.

When we took custody of Haley, she had an ear infection and a sinus infection. This all caused her to vomit (projectile!) at every feeding with a horrible, gagging cough. And, yes, this continued on our 30+ hours of plane rides. Let's just say we where not the most valued passengers on those cramped planes. Eight of her outfits later, I gave up and just decided to let the smell engulf me, praying for a quick trip. At first, Haley was a bit lethargic and would not look at me. She could not sit up by herself, and she exhibited certain self-soothing behaviors whenever she got upset. My sweet girl was gorging constantly. Then vomiting it all up.

But two weeks later, she is a different child. And I'm getting to know her all over again. After several doctor visits and an indulgence in modern medication, she is now happy and healthy. She lights up when David is around and gets pretty cranky if I'm not holding her when I'm around. She no longer gorges, but instead seems to have built a confidence in her surroundings that I didn't expect for another few months. She sleeps through the night - sleep, glorious sleep! She not only sits up on her own, but she has also started to crawl. And my favorite part: she stares and coos at me all day long.

Someone once told me that I was lucky to get my children "the easy way." It's a ridiculous statement, really. But in the end, it is always worth it. The years of paperwork, jumping through someone else's hoops, the sickness, the travel, the horrific plane rides that drive you to the edge of madness. But we know a truth that will never change: God created Haley to be our daughter from the beginning of time. Her story and ours is neither a coincidence nor a surprise to Him. We went to Ethiopia because that's where our daughter was. And we would walk through that fire again and again, as many times as it took to bring her home.




2 comments:

Sherryaki said...

I would NEVER say the way you got your child was easy!!! Frankly, I don't know if I'd be tough enough to go through what you've been through to get your daughters. But we all know it was well worth it!! And it probably seems relatively short now!

jamullins said...

She is so beautiful! Glad she is feeling better.


Julie